Fall 1543 Discovered by the Spanish Vessel, “San Juan de Letran” (Captain Bernardo de la Torre).
November 15, 1779 Spotted by the third exploration ships of Captain James Cook of Great Britain, the “Resolution” and “Discovery”. Named “North Island”, “Sulfur Island”, and “South Island”.
November 10, 1887 The Kazan Islands are explored. Expedition is organized by Governor Takasaki of Tokyo using the lighthouse tender Meiji Maru.
June 1889 First group of settlers arrive for the purpose of sulfur mining and fishery.
September 9, 1891 Placed under the jurisdiction of the Ogasawara Island government by imperial order, and becomes referred to as Kita Iwo-to, Iwo-to, and Minami Iwo-to.
October 1, 1912 The population of Iwo-to becomes 396 and the population of Kita Iwo-to becomes 171. From around this time land cultivation expands and settlers increase.
June 15, 1913 The Taisho Jinjo Elementary School is opened. There were 56 students.
March 1914 A caretaker is placed on Iwo-to. The island town and village system is implemented the same year. Kita Iwo-to is directly controlled by the island government office.
April 1, 1940 Becomes Iwo-to-mura (Iwo-to village) with the implementation of the regular town and village system. Kita Iwo-to continues to be controlled by the government office.
Between June and July 1944 Evacuation begins along with the intensification of the war. 1,004 people from Iwo-to and 90 people from Kita Iwo-to. 109 young males of Iwo-to remain to join the army.
February 19, 1945 The U.S. Armed Forces land on Iwo-to and the first domestic battle on ground took place. In March the Japanese Army is defeated and the 82 residents of the island who joined the army died in battle (20,129 soldiers of the Japanese Army and 6,821 soldiers of the U.S. Armed Forces died).
January 29, 1946 The Allied Nations hold administrative authority over the Ogasawara Islands including the Kazan Islands by the memorandum regarding administrative separation.
April 28, 1952 The United States hold administrative authority over the islands with the effectuation of the Treaty of Peace with Japan. The Ogasawara branch government office and each village offices are abolished.
June 26, 1968 Reversion of the Ogasawara Islands including the Kazan Islands. The Ogasawara village is established.
May 31, 1984 The Ogasawara Islands promotion council submits a report of their opinion to the Director General of the National Land Agency and the Prime Minister, stating that “settlement of citizens on Iwo-to would be extremely difficult due to abnormal climatic conditions as a result of volcanic activities, and the conditions for establishing an industry are severe”.
November 9, 1990 Unveiling of the Iwo-to Tomin Heiwa Kinen Bochi Koen (Iwo-to Islander Peace Cemetery Park) constructed at the site of what used to be the cemetery of the island residents before the war.
February 12, 1994 The Emperor and Empress visit Iwo-to.
June 1997 The Ogasawara village begins service using the Ogasawara Maru to visit Iwo-to (for visiting the graves).
March 2002 Completion of the Iwo-to Heiwa Kinenn Kaikan (Iwo-to Peace Hall)
Copyright © Ogasawara Village Office. All rights reserved.
back to the top page